Water Purification

Our bodies run on water. Like an auto low on oil, our bodies are greatly affected when we become dehydrated. If you notice you’re acting like a little bitch, you probably just need a glass a water – or an ass kicking. Signs of more severe dehydration are headaches, weakness, fatigue, dry mouth, and tingling of limbs. Also, if you notice your piss is dark yellow, you are also dehydrated.

During the apocalypse, getting a glass of water won’t be so easy. Furthermore, our lakes and streams will be twice as polluted as they are now because of the millions of people who are now shitting and dieing in them. You’ll literally be dieing for some clean water.

Before purifying any water, clean the container you’re going to put the water in. Next pour the water through some fabric to take some of the apocalyptic gunk out. Then you should be able to use the following for killing off bacteria in the water source

Boiling

Boil polluted water for four minutes. (Make sure it’s a rolling boil) It’s slow, but it works, and can be done anywhere there is fuel for a fire.

Iodine

Add nine drops of iodine per quart of disinfected water. This is not as good of disinfectant as chlorine but better than nothing.

Chlorine Tablets

Will purify your water, but how many chlorine tablets are you going to pack for the apocalypse?

Water Purification Pump

Very portable, kills most bacteria and can be used for years if cleaned regularly. Just insert in polluted water and pump. By far my favorite survival tool

UV

There are ultraviolet water purifiers that work well and are quite small. However, they are battery operated so you can’t depend on these for the long haul

Artificial Distillation

After the apocalypse, pools of water may have more than just bacteria swimming in them. Artificial distillation will purify water that is heavily polluted. In fact you can even clean sea water and your own urine.

The idea is to boil the polluted water until it becomes steam. This steam will rise out of the container and into your container, leaving the contaminants behind. This may be harder to create for the apocalyptic wanderer, but if your sedentary, I would recommend developing this system.

Incoming search terms:

• Share this post on Delicious
  • StumbleUpon this post
  • Tweet about this post
  • Share this post on Technorati
  • Share this post on Facebook
  • Share this post on NewsVine
  • Share this post on LinkedIn

About the author

ApocalypseGuide had written 112 articles for How to Survive The Apocalypse

8 Responses to "Water Purification"
  1. Thomas February 16, 2010 23:10 pm

Good points. I would like to add that Clorine bleach in liquid form requires 16 teaspoons per gallon.

The Iodine method caught my attention. I’m wondering if this recipe would work to protect the thyroid from radiation. Does anyone know?

A “Real” Silver dime or Quarter can be used (Left overnight) to purify water in a small bottle. A Silver dollar will purify a barrel. Source: Silverinstitute.com

2. The Razors Edge February 21, 2010 21:46 pm

Good points. Another thing to note is just how long can you go without water. The average person can go about 3 days without any water, after that you’re pretty much screwed.

3. Ian March 1, 2010 10:03 am

DO NOT DRINK BLEACH, it will kill you, WHICH IS THE SAME AS BEING DEAD.

4. Apocalypse Living: In a Lagoon March 5, 2010 21:52 pm

[…] Water purification pumps  will not work with saline water, so you’ll need to remove the salt from the water through distillation. I talked about this in a previous article but here is a new way. […]

5. Jotti June 11, 2010 05:51 am

Yeah, Right. Whatever.

6. BrandyG April 27, 2011 06:24 am

To tom, I heard somehwere recently that if you get regular liquid iodine, the brown kind, and rub a quarter sized circle on your skin, I want to say on your neck but I cant remember for sure, they said somewhere it wont rub off overnight, and keep rubbing that circle a few more times until your skin stops absorbing it, that should help, but please try to double check the part about placing on the neck, I’m not sure if they said that or if I figured thats where I would do it.

7. Bobuliatko December 26, 2012 15:55 pm

Weight is definitely the big drawback here. I couldn’t agree more that stainless steel is a good choice for it’s sturdiness. In addition, you can boil your water right in the stainless steel bottle if circumstances required or pour boiled water directly into it without fear of the heat damaging/melting it or causing the release of any chemicals as in with some plastic water bottles. Coffee filters (cone type) are a lightweight and inexpensive way to Pre-filter cloudy or murky water either by gravity into your purification container or by attaching one to the intake portion (with a rubber band) of your water filter; the latter dramatically extends the life of your water filter cartridge for mere pennies. If you plan on keeping a stove in your bag, I suggest (following my code of double-duty) using a type similar to the Jetboil. They are relatively small and light weight and all components fit nicely into the pot. They are designed to boil water quickly saving both fuel and time. However, for those who are budget or weight conscious, I would consider another option. Purification tablets are a great and lightweight choice, but be sure and read the instructions before you purchase as some may require up to four hours to work. Like in the post on having back ups to your back ups, I have a few small pouches of five year, shelf life water; you can also use these for wound irrigation if needed (the juice box-type with the push in straw). I also have two water bottle with built in water filters (which I keep empty) and a filter straw. I use the individually, foil wrapped purification tablets because the unused tablets are not exposed when accessing one tablet out of the package as is the case with tablets stored in bottles. I do not carry a Jetboil-type of stove, but I do have a titanium Esbit stove which uses the Esbit dry fuel tabs; ridiculously lightweight and easy to use and store. No mess kit, but a titanium cup for boiling and drinking. I also have plastic bags (every kit should have plastic bags) which you can use to collect rainwater, create a solar still, etc.

8. Neely February 26, 2013 12:38 pm

I’m impressed, I must say. Actually rarely do I encounter a blog that is both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the issue is something that not sufficient many people are speaking intelligently about. I am especially happy that I stumbled across this in my search for some thing relating to this.

Leave your response

You must be logged in to post a comment.